I have a little secret:
I’m turning 35 tomorrow.
In mind and spirit, I still feel like a 21 year old. In body, I feel like an 81 year old. I know this is really cliche, but I look back and think “Time has flown by.”
I know time will continue to fly too. This time of year always makes me super reflective of how I am spending my life and what I am and who I want to be.
I’ve learned so many lessons and have so many yet to learn. But for those of you ahead or behind me, I thought it would be interesting to share some of these lessons. I could have added more. Actually, I crossed out and edited a few billion times to get the main ideas here. Let me know what you think and what you would add to the list!
- 1. Life is good, even when you think it isn’t.
- 2. Practice the art of gratitude.
- 3. Leaving God out of any equation can turn into a hot mess.
- 4. Enjoy the learning process.
- 5. Being kind is something you will never regret.
- 6. Don’t always be available – disconnect!
- 7. Value face to face relationships and cultivate quality friendships.
- 8. Sometimes you just need more sleep.
- 9. Use good manners.
- 10. No one is as consistent as you think they should be. Including you.
- 11. Sing. A lot.
- 12. Don’t cheap out on your church.
- 13. Live your life, not someone else’s.
- 14. Study the Bible – don’t just read it.
- 15. Dress nice. You will feel better and be more productive.
- 16. Don’t do everything for your kids. Instead, teach them how.
- 17. Learn to laugh at yourself.
- 18. Listen more than you talk.
- 19. Ask God to show you ways to bless others. Do it anonymously, if possible.
- 20. Tithe, tip well, and be kind to waitstaff.
- 21. Find board games you enjoy. They are out there.
- 22. Have hobbies.
- 23. When people do nice things, praise them.
- 24. Keep explanations short.
- 25. Go on dates with your husband.
- 26. Own up when you have done wrong, Say “sorry” without excuses attached.
- 27. Have reasonable expectations for your kids.
- 28. Only do those things God wants you to. It’s okay to say no.
- 29. If possible, always go to the funeral.
- 30. Work hard.
- 31. You usually get what you pay for.
- 32. Your convictions are not for everyone.
- 33. There is usually a backstory you know nothing about. Give grace.
- 34. Emotions simply indicate feelings. Don’t let them control your decisions.
- 35. Keep excuses for yourself to a minimum.